Black Sash seeks to appoint a National Advocacy Manager, based in Mowbray, Cape Town.
The Black Sash mission is working towards the realisation of socio-economic rights, as outlined in the SA constitution 1996, with the emphasis on social security and social protection for the most vulnerable particularly women and children. We will, in the course of our work, explore options to significantly help to reduce poverty and inequality.
We believe that the implementation of socio-economic rights demand open, transparent and accountable governance (state, corporate and civil society). To this end we will promote active civic engagement by all living in South Africa, made possible by a strong and vibrant civil society comprising community based organisations, non-governmental organisations, coalitions and movements.
The overall purpose of this position is to develop and implement advocacy projects and programmes.
The core responsibilities include:
- Advocacy project and programme design, management and delivery
- Build and sustain strong networks (national, provincial levels)
- Engage the media, social media platforms and public relations
- Intern/volunteer, staff and service provider management
- Provide fundraising and administrative support
Candidates for this position have a post graduate degree in law or social sciences OR degree in law or social sciences with at least five-years work experience OR ten-years work experience.
Other key requirements include:
- Sound knowledge and understanding of key issues in the area of human rights, social justice and poverty
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the broader development and political context in South Africa
- Thorough knowledge of the SA Constitution as well as Government precepts, regulations and laws – with specific emphasis on i) Social Security Law; (ii) Constitutional Law, (iii) Administrative Law, (iv) Consumer Law and (v) Labour Law
- Understanding of International Law and African/ International human rights instruments and conventions
- Knowledge and understanding of the 3 spheres of Government, government departments and agencies
- Knowledge and understanding of the role of civil society in building democracy
Experience: 1) A minimum of 5 years working experience in the area of social justice advocacy in the civil society sector, including working experience of how parliament, the executive and the judiciary functions; 2) A minimum of 3 years continuous project management experience (with a provincial or national scope); 3) Experience in engaging the media; 4) Experience in building and maintaining networks; 5) A minimum of 3 years continuous staff management experience (teams of three people or more); 6) Education and facilitation experience and skills, an ability to present complex information in a simple manner; 7) Policy and research experience; and 8) Community development experience would be an advantage.
Minimum Skills: 1) Excellent English writing and verbal communication skills and at least one other South African language; 2) Advance project management skills, strong planning, organisational, strategic and analytical skills ; 3) Good planning and project management skills; and 4) Confidence with Information and Communication Technology, social media and making presentations; and 5) valid unendorsed driver’s License.
The Black Sash is looking for a candidate who is committed to human rights, access to justice, development and empowerment, particularly women and girls. A candidate who will be able to work in a team and with a transparent, accountable and consultative style and embrace the values, vision, strategies and policies of the Black Sash.A candidate who can work confidently at community level, as well as to engage in high level public & policy forums and with the media. A candidate who is ability to think pro-actively, creatively and responsively and is prepared to work hard, under pressure and to deadline, often beyond normal office hours and to travel extensively.
Preference will be given to women in line with our Employment Equity Plan.
Closing Date: Friday 14 July 2017
Start date: Immediately
Employment Type: Permanent
Remuneration: R42 528.40 per month (including benefits)
Enquiries: Mr. JS Marques Tel #: (021) 686 6952
A full job description is available on request. For more information about the Black Sash, refer to www.blacksash.org.za.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Should you not hear from us within a month from the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.